Our website use cookies to improve and personalize your experience. Our website may also include cookies from third parties like Google Adsense, Google Analytics and Facebook. By using this website, you consent to the use of cookies. We've updated our Privacy Policy, please click on the button beside to check our Privacy Policy.

Follow Us:

Need help with EEA / EU Immigration UK Applications

Company Overview Image

EEA and EU Immigration

European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) citizens living in the UK can make applications for a registration certificate, permanent residence document, and British citizenship.

As an EU citizen, you are however currently not required to apply for any documents to prove that you can live in the UK unless you want to apply for British citizenship or want to sponsor your partner’s visa application.

Nationals of all EEA (European Economic Area) countries, and also those of Switzerland, have immigration rights under European law and are allowed to come to the UK without any visa or form of permission. These immigration rights under European law are called “free movement” rights.

EEA / EU Immigration Help & Advice


If you’re an EU citizen, you and your family will be able to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. If your application is successful, you’ll get either settled or pre-settled status. The EU Settlement Scheme opened fully on 30 March 2019.

At Royce Legal, we deal with EEA and EU immigration applications on daily basis and would love to help you make the right application. Call us to today to speak to one of our EEA immigration lawyers and discuss your possibilities.

You’ll need to apply if you’re an EU citizen or a family member of an EU citizen, except for in a few cases.

You will not need to apply if you have:

  • British or Irish citizenship (including ‘dual citizenship’)
  • indefinite leave to enter the UK
  • indefinite leave to remain in the UK

Otherwise you’ll need to apply, even if you:

  • were born in the UK but are not a British citizen
  • have a UK ‘permanent residence document’
  • moved to the UK before it joined the EU
  • are a family member of someone from the EU (including Ireland) who does not need to apply

You must be in a relationship with an EU citizen as their spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner.

You’ll need a residence card to prove your relationship if you’re unmarried.

You can also be related to an EU citizen, their spouse or civil partner as their:

  • child, grandchild or great-grandchild under 21 years old
  • dependent child over the age of 21
  • dependent parent, grandparent or great-grandparent
  • dependent relative with a residence card to prove your relationship

If you apply before you have 5 years’ ‘continuous residence’, you’ll usually get pre-settled status rather than settled status.

You’ll probably get a decision more quickly if you apply at the same time or after your family member applies.

Your family member will be given an application number when they apply. You can use this to ‘link’ your application to theirs, so that your applications are considered together.

Under European law, National Member States within the European Economic Area (EEA) are able to enjoy freedom of movement across Member States. In general terms this means that EEA / EU or Swiss nationals have the right to live and work in the UK.

As an EEA or Swiss national, you have the right to live and work in the UK (known as the ‘right of residence’) if:

  • You are working here (and have obtained our permission to work if this is required – see below); or
  • You can support yourself and your family in the UK without becoming an unreasonable burden on public funds.

A non-EEA family member of an EEA / EU national i.e Spouse , Parent, child or other dependant, will need to obtain an EEA family permit before travelling to the UK if they are coming to live with the EEA / EU national in the UK.

The non-EEA family member must be travelling to the UK:

  • With the EEA / EU national; or
  • To join the EEA / EU national here.

If you have a right to live the in the UK, your family may join you here. Your family is defined as:

  • Your spouse (husband or wife) or civil partner;
  • Any children or grandchildren of you, your spouse or your civil partner who are under 21 years of age or who are dependent on you; and
  • The parents or grandparents of you, your spouse or your civil partner.

If you are a student, only your spouse or civil partner and dependent children have a right of residence. Other relatives (including extended family members such as brothers, sisters and cousins) do not have an automatic right to live in the UK. To be considered, they must be able to show that they are dependent on you. If you and your partner are not married or in a civil partnership, you must be able to show that you are in a durable relationship with each other.

Our specialists can provide specialist legal advice in this area of law. Our solicitors will assist EEA / EU nationals and their non EEA national family members secure entry and residence in the United Kingdom.

With the ongoing Brexit process, the government is working on a new scheme that will be available to the EU citizens and their families after the UK leaves the EU. The government also assures that there will be no change to the rights and status of EU citizens living in the UK while the UK remains in the EU.

However, once the UK leaves the EU, you will be required by law to apply for permission to stay in the UK.

The UK government has also stated that your current permanent residence document won’t be valid after the UK leaves the EU.

Depending on your circumstances, it’s in your best interest to make the right application and secure your rights of living in the UK as soon as possible.

Work we do In Immigration


We are specialist immigration solicitors based in Nottingham and Rochdale, Greater Manchester who offer experrt advice and help in all matters relating to UK Immigration Law.

Free Consultation

If you have questions or wish to book a free consultation? Contact us today, we’re here to help.